R60.00 – R180.00
Milk Thistle capsules
Milk thistle is an herbal remedy derived from the milk thistle plant, also known as Silybum marianum.
This prickly plant has distinctive purple flowers and white veins, which traditional stories say were caused by a drop of the Virgin Mary’s milk falling onto its leaves.
Traditionally Milk Thistle has been used to treat liver and gallbladder disorders, promote breast milk production, prevent and treat cancer and even protect the liver from snake bites, alcohol and other environmental poisons.
Some science-based benefits include:
- Protects your Liver against toxins and damage thus improving liver function
- Reduce liver inflammation
- Prevent Age-related decline in Brain Function
- Protect your bones by stimulating bone mineralization
- Potentially protect against bone loss
- Antioxidant effects may have anticancer effects
- Boost breast milk production
- Help to treat Acne caused by oxidative stress in the body
- Complementary therapy to help manage type 2 diabetes
Milk Thistle is generally safe in high doses and can be used for long periods, with only about 1% of people experiencing any side effects.
Side effects could include: Gut disturbances like diarrhea, nausea or bloating.
Some people are advised to be cautious when taking milk thistle. These include:
- Pregnant women: There is no data on its safety in pregnant women, so they are usually advised to avoid this supplement.
- Those allergic to the plant: Milk thistle may cause an allergic reaction in people who are allergic to the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants.
- People with diabetes: The blood sugar-lowering effects of milk thistle may put people with diabetes at risk of low blood sugar.
- Those with certain conditions: Milk thistle can have estrogenic effects, which may worsen hormone-sensitive conditions, including some types of breast cancer.
Note: We use “00” size vegetable capsules. Powder weight may vary depending on fineness of powder and rate of compaction. Usually between 350mg and 650mg per capsule. All our capsules have been hand packed and quality control carried out.
30, 60, 90